Saturday 20 July 2013

Blog 26! The lows of ageing!


Hi guys,

I am writing from exactly 34000 feet above sea level on a Virgin Atlantic flight from Manchester Airport to Orlando Airport in the USA! Yes I am greedy with holidays this year, having only got back from Spain a week and 2 days ago. This time the journey is a little longer; I am currently 4 hours and 35 minutes away from landing in Orlando so I thought I would update you with a blog!

 The main thing I want to talk to you about today is how someone changes through ageing. You might be thinking, Alex? Everyone ages so that’s a random topic to be speaking about. But if you had lived with my Dad over the last few weeks you would agree it was a worthy topic to be talking about.

My father is to say the least getting older, I won’t go into much detail about his age, as I know he will probably read this and kill me if I wrote his age. So to protect myself from a holiday with a grumpy father I will sway from breaking his age over the Internet. Let’s just say that he is getting to the stage in his life (Nearly 50) when physically you change, with wrinkles and the odd grey hair. However my dad has not changed much physically over the last couple of weeks, but his mind is starting to change.

There was once a time when my dad had a lifestyle where he managed to stay up past 9pm at night, without falling asleep on the sofa. Now I can live with this, as I understand he has a busy day during the week and as a result he is bound to be tired. But lately my dad has made some purchases in the fashion department that are very out of character. I would be the first to admit that my dad had good fashion sense up until these last few weeks, but I would be the last to agree with that statement now. He has always been one to buy designer brands such as Paul Smith, Ted Baker, Ralph Lauren etc. But although this has not changed the quality of purchases have. It all started with a pair of denim shorts purchased off the Internet.
 As a family we take a keen interest in each other’s appearance and we do not lie when asked if something looks good. When my dad asked my mum whether his new ‘trendy’ denim shorts looked good my mum replied “no”. So before I got home these new denim shorts had been rejected from the Blakemore household and were on their way back to the supplier. Of course my mum was the first to tell me about them and we had our fun giggling about how ridiculous he looked in them.
  After rejection of one item of clothing, I did not question his fashion sense, as we all make a mistake once in a while but when a delivery arrived earlier this week it was clear that something had to be done.

 Within the package there was a pair of Ralph Lauren, Bright orange (The exact shade used in orange highlighter pens) shorts with little rips in like a pair of jeans a 14-year-old girl would wear. Now of course being the honest family we are, he was informed of how silly they looked, but instead of listening to us he decided to keep them. For the rest of the week he has worn them every evening after work and they are now on the flight with us to Orlando. On the bright side (No pun intended) nobody in America knows who we are so we can avoid the utter most embarrassment of his shorts.

That is not all. He has also purchased a hat to use whilst we are on the boat in America. It is a large hat and makes him look like he should be wrestling crocodiles in Australia. All it is missing is a few wine corks attached via string to be the complete package.

Due to him not allowing me to take a picture of these items of clothing I have tried to describe them the best I can, and I hope you have been able to appreciate the true horror of his decline in fashion sense. The main culprit for this change is age in my opinion and that is why I had to talk to you about the changes in someone via age.

That’s all for now, and I will be back soon with another blog from Orlando America. Have a great few days and I’ll speak to you soon.

 Thanks for reading

Cya,
Alex J

No comments:

Post a Comment